Roatan May8-15, 2010

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Monday

We got a call from the missionaries and they took us up on our offer. They came over while Mark and I were at work and they used the extra bathroom. They enjoyed a hot shower, used the washing machine and I made them some French toast! When we got home, I found these beautiful letters of thanks that they left for us! They are some good Elders!

Mark had talked to them and one of them said he had the shower as hot as it would go....but then, he couldn't take it and had to cool it off (I guess he's used to it the Honduras way!) The other missionary said he had no problem and took the hottest shower he could!

Being in Roatan, I have reflected on some of my blessings. Even the simple blessings of having hot running water, food, and a washing machine! We have so many conveniences here in the United States, and yet sometimes we still do not have the time to do the things that are most important. As I have spent time in Roatan and Haiti (in 1997) I find that the people are happy, they don't look to blame God, they thank Him. They are grateful for all that he has blessed them with and they work hard to serve Him. I see how hard it is to just accomplish everyday tasks like cooking and laundry and getting to work. I see them getting up early to walk to church in their best clothes (even high heels), walking in the mud from all the rain from the night before (in some cases long distances) But there is no complaining...this is life. How is that, that life can be so hard and yet they can be so happy and find the time to serve the Lord. Here in the states, there are so many conveniences, allowing more time to serve, yet I find so many distractions! I see in my children and myself sometimes that when we get more, we fall into expecting it. Thus instead of being grateful we become ungrateful....looking for more, expecting it, and in spite of the conveniences, we are distracted and unable to do the things that are most important. I am grateful for my experiences. They have helped me realize that I can do better, that the Lord has blessed me with so much, and that there is so much more I can do to serve God!

1 comment:

colleen said...

One of the best blog posts ever! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Annie.