On Sunday we went to church and met many wonderful members of the church. Many of them came right up to us and shook our hands, even if they couldn't speak to us in English. There were between 50-60 people in Sacrament meeting (many of them were kids) We sat and listened as best we could. The weather was cool and the fans were on with the windows open. It was very comfortable and the church was very nice. They had certificates that they handed out for Seminario (semenary) and for instituto (institute) I understand that they meet for seminary at 5 a.m.
We went to Sunday School and it looked like they were teaching out of the family relations book. I think they were asking "how do you know if you are really in love?' There was a lot of giggles and a lot of discussion in class. The teacher was doing such a good job, her name is Blanca. She was one of our employees until just recently. We found out on Sunday that she was offered something better and has taken a new job. It sounds like a more promising opportunity for her. The Seminary teacher Hermana (Solema) Solaya is now our new employee.
In Releif society there were about 8 sisters in there. The lesson was about Unity. I could read along the lesson in Spanish however I could not understand it. I did understand the part of when the sisters would work together and clean the clothes of all the brethren who had worked on the Temple. One sister, Clara, sat beside me and and made sure I was following along. She also spoke a bit of English. She is a web designer. She was very sweet to me. Also I met Daffney, she spoke English very well and helped me get to R.S. She also buys some of our products and sells them down buy the cruise ship.
After Church we drove around the Island.....It doesn't take long before you realize that you don't need so much time alone and you start to desire an opportunity to serve someone. I think because I miss my kids that I was needing someone to serve. So Mark and I decided to go home and make dinner and Choc. chip cookies for the Missionaries. We called them up and invited them over.
It didn't take long before I realized I didn't have a kitchen aid to help me mix up these ingredients.......I looked around and lo and behold.....I found one
My kitchen aid, mixing up the sugar, margerine and eggs
(what a guy!) We had fun making the cookies. It took forever to bake a double batch with only one baking sheet. 
But I am not complaining, I was lucky enough to have one and an oven and runinng water, and.....well lets just say we are so lucky to have all that we have. I am so humbled to come down here and see how little people have and I feel so grateful for all that I have.
We made Spaghetti and sausage and Mark picked up the Missioanaries. Elder Mendoza is from Wyoming and Elder Mortensen is from Utah. They were so excited to come to our place. They couldn't believe that there were places like this on the island. They took pictures of everything! They were so excited just to see the table being set.
Both of them have been out about a year and we could tell that they have been emersed in their work. It was as if they had forgotten about many of the conveniences that we have in the states.....As they took pictures of the bathroom they were wondering if we had hot water (they were just excited to know that we had running water) They took pictures of the dishwasher and TV's. They were so sweet, I was glad to have them over and especially glad we went through the trouble (if you can say that) of making the cookies. We invited them to come over during the week and shower in our extra bathroom (this place has 2 master suites). We also invited them to use our washer and dryer.
As much as they were excited to be here for a night I don't think they would trade any of it for the experiences that they are having here on thier missions. Elder Mortensen talked about all the wonderful food that he loves here on Honduras (I think he loves the Honduran food more than American food now). Elder Mendoza appreciated the "American Meal" but made sure to save room for cookies and milk.
We so enjoyed our visit with them. We got to hear a little about thier missions and about their families back home. Mark and I got to share with them how we met and got married and about all our kids we miss back at home. They were our "kids" for the night so we did not feel so empty.
As much as they were excited to be here for a night I don't think they would trade any of it for the experiences that they are having here on thier missions. Elder Mortensen talked about all the wonderful food that he loves here on Honduras (I think he loves the Honduran food more than American food now). Elder Mendoza appreciated the "American Meal" but made sure to save room for cookies and milk.
Thank you Elder Mendoza and Elder Mortensen. Their Mothers can be very proud of them
As for our kids back at home....
Lizzy I miss hearing you play your songs on the piano while I make dinner and watching Iron Chef while I rub your back
Sarah I miss hearing about how Pac, drama and volleyball went (sorry I had to miss so many big days this week), and rubbing your shoulders
Parker I miss giving you hot chocolate during the cold days and the warm hugs you give me at night.
Jacob I miss hearing you say...Mom,...... I love you! and having some mommy time during the day.
If I were there right now I would want to build a big fire and snuggle up and whatch a movie together! I love and miss you
If I were there right now I would want to build a big fire and snuggle up and whatch a movie together! I love and miss you
1 comment:
1 im on grandmas computer i love the kitchen 3 the pac program went awesome c4 we lost vollyball and 5 i have improved on my serving!!!!!!!!!!!!
i love you and miss you
~Sarah
Post a Comment